Friday, April 22, 2011

Stream of consciousness re: argentine time

Yesterday I made plans with my friend, Jacinto. The plan was he would go to dinner with his friends and call me after to meet up. I texted him at 10:30 to tell him I was at home, tired, and didn´t know if I wanted to go out, but to text me and we would see.

I finished a puzzle with Pati. I caught up on the blog. I did some situps. Then I said self, I´m tired. I´m not waiting for dinner to finish. We´re going to bed. So I donned my pajamas and climbed into bed around 12:30. Approximately 4 minutes later I receive a text from my friend, Nelle, checking in. She tells me she´s kicking it at her house trying to figure out what to do for the night. I tell her I´m doing the same, feeling completely lame because I´m not doing that at all, I´m actually tucking myself in for the night. I ask her if she´s up for a drink, and she says sure, but their house is on Argentine time as usual and they don´t know what they´re going to do. It´s 12:36. At this time I am usually well into a night out. So this time I said self, let´s do this. This is hard to get used to. But you know what? I´m in Argentina. And damnit, I´m going to live like an Argentine.

So I climb out of bed and back out of my pajamas into the same outfit I wore out two nights ago (this lack of fall clothes is a personal challenge sometimes), and walk the 10 blocks to her place. As I´m en route Jacinto texts me to tell me they´re going out in a bit and do I want to join them. Imagine his surprise when I say I´m now out being Argentine, and that maybe we can all meet up at some point in the night.

So I go hang out with Nelle, Derek, Chong, and Anina, and we finally decide to hit the town at 3:15. AM people. So I text Jacinto and we all meet up at 3:45 to begin our night out at a club/bar, where he tells me I´m adjusting just fine to the Argentine nightlife, laughing at my bi-polar going out decision making skills.

I go to bed at 6am, wake up at 12:30, go to Spanish class, and now will take myself for a nap before meeting my girls at 10:30 for a somewhat early dinner. What is this place?

1 comment: