Friday, November 12, 2010

My not so little sister


My sister is amazing. Sometimes it’s hard for me to remember that she’s an adult, and a grown woman who has her own life, and who doesn’t need me to help her make decisions. We always joked as kids that I was the mother hen, an idea we got from watching White Christmas a la the Haynes sisters. I have had to find a balance over the years between being her friend and confidante and “mothering” her. What she needs from me is support and love in all she does, not to challenge everything. She has a mother to mother her, and now is the mother of not one, but two incredible little girls.

As a part of my hiatus in between the bike trip and my international journey, I’ve been blessed with time to spend with Jess, her husband Jason and their 3-year-old daughter Cameron, who blows me away on a daily basis. I got to spend time hanging out with Cam, and was able to be in Miami when they welcomed their new daughter, Isabella, to their family.

Now, having no kids of my own, I have grown to love Cameron in a way I didn’t think was possible. And have absolutely no doubt the same will go for little Bella. I am so thankful for Jess and Jason allowing me to be present for this monumental event. But more than anything, I want to give the two of them a shout-out. Jess and I couldn’t be more different, but we have made it through at lot of ups and downs in the past. Over the last few years, I am lucky to count her as one of my besterest (that means the best of the best) friends. I am so thankful to have her in my life, and to have had the chance to see her in action as a mom and wife. Similarly, I have had the joy of getting to know Jason in the past years, and have grown to admire and love him for being such an attentive and caring husband and father (and of course brother-in-law).

Cameron is as wonderful and charming as she is because she has two extremely loving and patient parents in Jess and Jason. I have been constantly amazed at their strength and vigor in overcoming obstacles, and creating a great life for their family. No matter what happens, they always come out on top, as a united front, and I am beyond impressed with their ability to persevere. Cameron and Isabella are fortunate to come into this world unconditionally loved by their parents.

So here’s to you Jess and Jason. I am in awe of you guys, and how much you do in your every day. If I am ever a mother, I hope I am half as good as my sister. Much love today and every day to the Thomas family.  Thanks for putting up with me for 3 whole weeks (not to mention the last 26 years)!

And without further ado, I present to you pictures of Bella and Cam the time I got to spend with them

 carving punkins
 woody and woody - not jessie
 "reach for the stars"
 cam teaching me how to do crafts
 me and jess and little bella...6lbs 3oz
 cam kissing bella
 the thomas family
 bella on her way home
 cam being a big helper feeding bella
 cam holding her baby sister
1
 tea party!
 my nieces...my loves
 daddy and bella sleeping
.  she looks a lot like her sister

6 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post to your sister! I may have teared up a lot! I am so proud of her and so very happy for her! Love you, Kel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a gorgeous family. And that cowgirl outfit knocks me out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly: keep me posted on your whereabouts. I'm coming to meet you somewhere. Patagonia? Elsewhere in chile or argentina? Maybe February?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutley LOVE the Woody costume and her showing you how to do crafts! The girls are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete