Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Real Rock

I hadn't been to the climbing gym for a while. Once our first climbing trip didn't work out, and I realized I was going to leave BA in January, I opted for Spanish classes instead. I couldn't afford both, as much as I love me some rock climbing, but figured that while still living here, I should perfect my Spanish skills as much as possible. 

Last week Hernan sent us an email that he was organizing another weekend trip, on my last weekend in BA. I replied within seconds to tell him I was in. I spent all evening Tuesday and Thursday bouldering and reviewing all of the wall techniques and securities, getting the chance to meet some other new climbers who would also be going on the trip. I didn't want to get my hopes up too much since it fell through last time, but Hernan assured me it was a go. 

He and his girlfriend, Lu, picked me up at 3am on Saturday, and we were off for a road trip/rock climbing/camping weekend. As much as I tried not to, I nodded off in the back seat for a bit. We stopped about halfway to sit for a coffee and to stretch our legs. We arrived to Sierra de los Padres, outside of Mar del Plata, around 9:30 and quickly set up camp and bought water and food provisions before heading to the rock. Nine of us went in total, I the only extranjera.

The climbing area is a popular one, but recently has become private property. So we had to park the cars and lug all the gear in, crossing under a wire fence and hiking up a trail to the rock face. The weather was perfect. Blazing sun, probably 85 degrees, and not a cloud in the sky. The landscape was breathtaking, and I couldn't think of a better way to spend my last weekend "in" BA. 

We started climbing on Saturday around 11:30am using the top ropes. Halfway through the day once comfortable with everything, we were able to do some lead climbing. Climbing outside on a real rock is a totally different experience that climbing on a wall, and I was addicted after my first go. There is such an adrenaline that goes with it, especially when you take away the top rope, locking your safety in as you climb. It's a trust sport. You have to have faith that if you fall, your partner is paying attention and "catches" you. It's AMAZING. I want to do it every day.

Climbing in the beating sun for 6 hours wears you out. When we arrived at the bottom of the hill to buy meat for an asado, I was already ready for bed, and you could see it in my face. We headed back to the campground where we showered then sat around drinking mate and chatting. Guido owned the parilla and made us a kick-ass asado. At 11pm, with my belly full, and my arms aching (like the good kind of aching) I couldn't keep my eyes open anymore and headed to my child-size tent to get some z's.

I LOVE CAMPING. 

On Sunday, we failed with our goal of arriving at the rock early, by 9am. Which was fine by all of us. We had a leisurely mate-filled morning getting ready for day 2. We hit the rock again around 11:30, this time Hernan setting us up for some more challenging climbs. Again, the sun was super strong, and we were all bronzed/fried from the day before, doing anything we could to find shade when we weren't climbing or supporting. There were some tough climbs, and we all worked really well together to help each other reach the top, or fight to reach the top until our arms stopped functioning. After a shady picnic in the rock cave, we attempted the hardest climbs of the weekend. Marina, Romi, and I encouraged each other to the top of a pretty tough climb where we spent extra time on top enjoying the view of accomplishment. 

I finished the day literally fighting the rock. I could not get up even the first part of the last climb, but not from lack of trying. I literally probably tried and clawed at the wall for a good hour before Hernan told me it was probably the moment to give it up. I had nothing left in my arms. 

We were the last group to leave the rock that day, heading down at 8:30pm while the sun was setting. Everyone exhausted, but feeling accomplished and bad ass. After a long car ride home, where I again failed at staying awake, I arrived back home and fell into bed at 3:30am. Today I can't move my arms above my shoulder and my legs are all kinds of bruised. Overexertion and sleep deprivation never felt so good.

mates in the car on the way down
hiking up to the rock
taking a break and taking it all in

hernan showing us how it's done
boulder action. he makes it look so easy.
my first climb
the view
sweat dirt and blood
nap time
rock
this is how you make an asado happen
day 2 - crossing paths
from the cave
our lil mascot buddy
killing it on one of the harder climbs
scampering right up
coming back down...success
mate break as the sun is setting
perfection
heading back to the cars
group photo

No comments:

Post a Comment