Thursday, September 8, 2011

Can it be true?

Today at work I received an email from a prospective student asking me about help for DELE preparation. The DELE is an internationally recognized test for Spanish proficiency, and is broken down into levels, A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, and C2, A1 being more beginner, and C2 being way advanced.

Out of curiosity, I jumped on the Cervantes DELE site, and took the placement test. Once you finish they recommend which level test you should sign up for. So I took the test, a series of 60 multiple choice questions, 2 reading comprehension parts, and a listening comprehension exercise. It's nothing compared to the actual test, but gives them an idea of your level. And guess what craziness I discovered when I hit the submit test button?


Yes. You're reading that right. It said that I could sign up to take the C1 level test. Now, in the grand scheme of things, and the greater scope of the real test that takes a full afternoon to complete, that's nothing. But in my personal quest for greatness and fluency in Spanish, it's a pretty big victory.

The road to fluency in another language is hard to define. Because how do you really know when you're fluent? Is it as simple as being functional in everyday situations and conversations? Do you have to be able to write a master's thesis in your second language? There must be thousands of levels of fluency. It's a tricky question with unclear answers.

My journey in this other language has been exciting, frustrating, lonely, eye-opening, hopeful, and everything in between. In making the decision to live in Buenos Aires, and being stubborn in my Spanish-only mindset, I've had moments of complete and total alienation. I've had moments of realization that I have to give a little on the ONLY SPANISH ALL THE TIME rule in order to make some friends so I'm not so alone. To make money, I have to work in a mostly English speaking job.

Sure I could go elsewhere for more of an "immersion" experience, but Buenos Aires seems a city of opportunity. Not like the way NYC is a city of opportunity (or what it was for me), with it's go go go, now now now mentality. (And don't worry, I haven't fallen out of love with NYC) But it's giving me an opportunity to live a life I've always wanted to live. A little more tranquilo. And since I'm not working 70+ hours per week, I'm getting the chance to check out some things I never had time for or was always fearful to try. I'm looking my life-long internal struggle in the face and trying to find what it is that I really want. How do I want to spend my time? What activities, things and people make me happy. How do I balance between my practical career-focused mindset and that of my bohemian creative side and quest for a life less defined by my job?

Well. I don't know exactly, but I think this experience is teaching me. Living with Mana and Diego shows me a lifestyle I always wanted. Less focused on money, promotions, and having the coolest cell phone. Nights filled with good chats, possible side projects, and impromptu jam sessions. They just live. Plain and Simple. I learn so much by observing them in their day to day. They always have another perspective or way at looking at the world, constantly encouraging me to let go of my fears and do that which makes me happy.

Yes, I've spent the last year doing that. But getting settled in one place again brings up my struggle. Call it good vs evil, creativity vs economics. But I'm taking risks. Reaching out for the creative side, making shit happen. Stepping outside of the box if you will.

How you ask? I'm taking a design/art class with a private teacher two days per week. I'm learning how to use all those fancy computer design programs, but all in Spanish with a brilliant woman who inspires and encourages my burried creative side. I've taken on the role of being a band manager. Seriously. In Spanish. With my super-talented roommate, Diego. We're experimenting, and trying to see how it works. But I think we're going to be successful. That, or I'm going to be Murray in Flight of the Conchords. All in good time. I'm also surrounded by talented people working on their own side project or dream projects. Everyone's got something going on. I feel inspired every day by their hopefulness and willingness to go for it.

Next up. 30.

1 comment: