Thursday, September 29, 2011

Home Sweet Home

So Tracy is getting married this weekend, and I've been looking forward to this trip home for months to be a part of her special day. I woke up on Sunday, the day of my flight, ready to make it happen. I serenaded my roommates with my iPod as back-up to Springstein's classic "Born in the USA". I could hardly contain my excitement. After 2 bus rides and a 10-hour plane ride with a seatmate who didn't understand the concept of personal space, I was back in the USA after almost a year away.

I stepped up to the customs official and handed him my passport as he looked at me with an inquisitive glance.

"Where are you coming from?"
"Argentina."
"Were you anywhere else before that?"
"Also Brazil, Chile, Uruguay, and Guatemala
"What was the purpose of your travels"
"Umm...to travel?"
"What do you mean?"
"Well, umm, I mean I went to learn Spanish."
"How long have you been gone?"
"11 months"
Looks up in surprise.
"What did you do for 11 months?"
"A lot. Lived my life."
"Did you learn Spanish?"
"Yes, Sir. I think I did."

As he handed back my passport, I think he realized how excited I was, and he broke into a smile and said, "Welcome back to the United States, Ms. Kraft." And beaming, I walked away and burst into unexpected tears, but tears of happiness. 

Before hitting up Indiana, I made a pit stop in DC. Even though I'm a bi-polar decision maker, and change my mind about my next moves every day, I have been waiting for my papers from the US to apply for my visa. Thinking everything was set once my dad received my FBI background report, I realized I had to send it to DC to get it authenticated, which takes another 8-12 weeks. Instead, I decided to change up my flights and try my luck at walking into the office to have it done. 

Thanks to Momgela, it all happened. My dad sent her the paperwork overnight last week, and she met me at the office at 9am. It was much easier than we both thought, and I got to spend the day in DC with she and Bonk for a mini B&B reunion. Over brunch we caught up on the past year, and how hard it is to believe that just over a year ago, we rode our bikes across the country. Sometimes I just forget about that. Seems like a dream, which I guess it was in a way.

We spent the afternoon on the back porch drinking Mate and laughing. They made fun of me as I ran around looking for a lighter to light the electric stove. I was confused, but so were they. (If you're wondering, gas stoves with real fire are better because they heat things faster.) Bonk made us an unbelievable vegan dinner, and before I knew it I was back at the airport Tuesday for my 8am flight to Indy.

I deboarded the plane, and practically ran through the terminal searching for my dad. When he found me, I again let the tears of joy stream down my face. I was HOME. We stopped by my mom's office to say hello, and that's where it was confirmed that I came by my emotional side honestly. As we sat chatting at rapid speeds, she just kept crying, telling me how happy she was to see me home and safe and sound. The feeling was mutual. We met my brother for lunch before I went home and took a nap. I then dragged my suitcases out of the attic, creating a clothing explosion in my room. You have no idea how exciting it is to play with 3 suitcases of clothing after wearing the same 7 things for an entire year. Like Christmas in September. When Chris got home from work we had dinner at Arni's, and my brother reminded me of my hipsterness as I admired the bike parked outside when we left.

Tracy picked me up in a U-Haul yesterday bright and early so I could help her with final wedding preparations. I declined her invite to accompany her to the dentist because I HATE THE DENTIST, but we hit the ground running once her teeth were clean.

We stopped by the seamstress so I could get my super last minute dress fitting and alterations before the weekend. Susan is a magic-maker, and the built-in straps to support my oversized chest look amazing. 

I know that sometimes I'm an awkward person, but now that I'm so used to some Argentine customs, it's even worse. Every time we went to run an errand today and I met someone new (seamstress, wedding planner, etc), I made an awkward move to kiss each person on the cheek, which is the way to greet everyone here. It took me a few times to readjust myself to the handshake.

Last night we went to a surprise going-away party for Tracy's roommate Erin, who is moving to Colorado, and who I owe a lot to for getting me here this week. I have only met her a couple of times, but feel like she's one of the NOB girls and I feel like I've known her forever. She and I stayed up all night drinking wine and talking about life. 

The best thing about being home is that it's not weird at all. When I see my friends and family it's like I never left, and have been here all along. I am so excited for Knepp wedding weekend, but right now it's time to reunite with Nina!

bonk, red wine and mate
momg hiding...sorry it's sideways but i'm too lazy to change it
vegan soup
NINA PEENTZ
my favorite tracy moments. OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment