Friday, September 9, 2011

Ode to my 20s.

Dearest 20s. You've done me right, taught me about the world, helped me find who I am. Frustrated me. Made me happy. Taught me to let go, but also let me hang on. You introduced me to some of my best friends in the world. You let me free, but then brought me back down to earth. We hid from life for a while, then faced it head on. We took risks, looked life in the face, and said hey life, bring it on. we taught each other that the only way to get what you want is to make it happen. With you I learned that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. We grew up, became an adult. But you still let me sleep with my childhood stuffed raccoon, Rocky without making fun of me.

You showed me what I want, what I'll take, and more importantly, the things I'm not willing to settle for. To keep dreaming and never stop thinking, learning, or wondering. That it's never late to teach an old dog new tricks. Sometimes it's ok to eat ice cream for dinner, but not every day. That I can make a difference if I put my mind to it, and that the grass isn't ALWAYS greener, but sometimes it is. To listen to myself, my voice, my intuition. To feel love, to choose how I want to live. That I can be happy as long as I choose to do so. That change is scary, but a necessary requirement for growth. Not to take life so seriously, and that there is balance if I seek it. To surround myself with people and things that enrich my every day and make me a better person. That my family and friends, not matter how far I wander, are always with me in my heart, and that their love is what makes me me. 

It's been a ride to say the least. I'll never forget you or all we did together. But it's time for me to go. I'm moving on up to 30. 

If there's one thing I've most learned from you, it's not to take one single moment for granted. But if I do, could you knock on 30's door and remind us it's all as it was meant to  be? Cause sometimes if I'm honest, 30 kinda freaks me out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment