Saturday, September 3, 2011

Oh, Hey September

So it's September. Which means a lot of things. A. Time moves way too quickly. B. 30 is quickly approaching. C. I haven't blogged in a loooooong time. D. Spring is almost here. E. I'm going home for a visit in 3 weeks and some change.
I hate winter. It doesn't matter where I live. Next time I decide to travel and live in a foreign country I'm either going to pick a place with no winter, or if a place with winter, not move there during the aforementioned winter. This is part of the reason I've not been blogging. The winter has gotten to me. Also, the reality that I'm living in a new place with a relatively small number of friends got me down a little. Living in a new place is hard. Add to that the part where it's another country and you don't understand every cultural aspect, and therefore you misunderstand some things. So I've had my head up my own ass the past few weeks, kind of feeling sorry for myself. Hey, I can admit that. It's not always as dreamy as it seems to be me. But with the return of some spring-like weather, and a new attitude, things are looking up again, and I'm back to being me, and thinking positive. But it hasn't all been debbie downer, and August wasn't so bad. Here's a lil' recap. 

Masa Critica, or Critical Mass. I was always curious about this event when I lived in New York. I've heard mixed reviews about the spectacle, so I decided to see what it was all about. I met up with a group of cyclists at the school where I work and we headed out. We met at the Obelisco in Buenos Aires, and were greeted by a good number of cycling lovers. As a side note we were also in the company of the Justin Bieber fan club. A gaggle of young girls wearing purple Bieber shirts, screaming, running back and forth across the teeming avenue, then gathering in the center of the plaza to sing songs and confess their Bieber love. Complete with a chap of about 23 with a megaphone organizing the young ladies. We assumed that JB was in town for a show and the girls were waiting for the tour bus to pass, but were quickly corrected and told that this happens every Sunday. Justin Bieber, Argentina LOVES you. 

do you think he gets paid to do this, or he's a Bieber lover too?
Back to the matter at hand. For those of you who don't know, Critical Mass is an event that takes place in cities all over the world one day a month. It's a gathering of cyclists to ride through the city as a group to promote cycling. The mass takes up one side of the road, so it can be upsetting to automobile drivers because they're at the mercy of the cyclists, so probably better to refrain from driving that day to save yourself mass frustration. The idea is that bicycles become the traffic. We spent 3 hours biking through the city, with people from every walk of life. Old people, little kids, racing bikes, spandex, old bikes, red bikes, blue bikes, you get the picture. The vibe is super chill with bike excitement all around. Highlights - a group of 4 guys with instruments strapped to their bikes serenading the crowd as they pedaled on, and the top, a guy who attached a huge speaker to the back of his bike, and provided us with the bike-dancing soundtrack we needed to do it in style. I tried to stay as close to him as possible the whole time. When he played "Move This" by Technotronic I nearly rode Bida into a parked car I was so excited. I felt like a little kid again, slowly riding through the city and chatting with whoever rode up next to me. It was a blast, but I can understand why people look at it negatively (especially those in cars). While the idea is to promote bicycles as a form of transportation in a positive way, some people take it too far. Like one guy who thought it would be cool to cross to the other side of the street (the one with oncoming traffic) and weave between the oncoming cars. I couldn't watch for fear that he would become a pancake then and there. I closed my eyes, but realized that's not safe when you're riding a bike. So I just focused back on the music man. In order to keep the mass together for the whole ride, people at the front of the pack block intersections, which angers cars with a green light who can't go. Regardless, it was a great experience, and I can't wait to do it again this month!

sun setting over the mass
heading through Palermo
Riding through tunnels on bikes at night is boss
The final stretch back to the Obelisco
Cheeseburgers. I love them. So does Pati. I have proved to her that the best hamburger in the world does not come from McDonalds. One Sunday I went and picked up what were rumored to be the best burgers in the city from a place called The Office. When Pati took the first bite, she was a believer! I continue to visit her every week, and am so happy to have her as my BsAs family.

Look at that beautiful burger. Eat that McDonalds!
Music and Jamming. In other news, some of you may remember this epic post and moment of my life (which still remains one of my greatest accomplishments)….


I shared it with Mana and Diego, and two days later, as we sat around the kitchen doing math problems (sort of a long story), Diego suggested a little jam sesh. He held the beat on the box drum, mana with the shakers, and I rapped Outkast. I felt almost as nervous then as I did when I did it for real. We've had a few more late nite sessions. I love them. 

Getting Older...In Style. We celebrated Chiang's 32 birthday with another kickass all-night dance party at The Roxy. I had another bout with the hiccups and again, Derek saved me with his secret hiccup cure. The photo we took looks exactly like the last one because I'm wearing the same clothes all the time. I can't wait to change it up a bit!

It's harder than it looks, because I find it hard not to giggle.

Chug...chug...chug

group photo before getting our dance on...Happy Bday Chiang!

The birthday boy feeling the bday love
notice Nelly getting down....and she wasn't going to go out that night
Getting to know the city. I spent a day wandering in San Telmo, where I ate my favorite thing, homemade bread stuffed with meat and cheese. Yum! I then hit up a few museums and caught an Indie film at the MALBA. 

on the bus on the way trying to make the best of the cold winter day
san telmo antique market

this band was awesome, and i've never seen someone move like him with a guitar (and a ciggie most times)

a little che graffiti
I made a poor woman's cobb salad sub hotdogs for chicken

Dancing. Last week I went to a Salsa class with my friend Libby, from Australia, who I met at the school. Yes, I know that I should take a Tango class since this is Buenos Aires, and I will, but man I love the salsa. Next time I'll stay for the Milonga.

my sad attempt to take a photo of the place
More Bikes. Last Saturday I hit up a bike tour with my buddies at Biking Buenos Aires with some of the students from the school. I had to cut out early for my rock climbing class in the gloomy rain, and need to complete a full tour with those guys. 
Troopers - city bike tour in the rain
Rock climbing. Speaking of rock climbing, Nells and I finished our course today, the final lesson being that of how to repel yourself from the top of the rock wall without a safety below, totally on your own. It was amazing. I'm so ready to get out on a real rock. We're going to plan a trip with Hernan at the beginning of October. Seems so far away though. I want to go this minute!

what goes up
must come down
Nells and I all harnessed up
Spanish. I have been back in Spanish class. It's amazing how much you lose when you take a month and a half off classes and start spending a good part of your day in English. The class has helped me to rediscover better grammar, although sometimes it just doesn't come out right. 

The supermarket. I continue to strengthen my patience skills in the supermarket line. Someday I'll learn the optimal hours to food shop, but until then, it's meditation and Namaste.

Getting older again. This week's task is to plan the big 30. One more week of my 20s. Bring it on decade #4. The job talk we'll save for another day. I haven't showered in 2 days, and it's time to make that magic happen.

When I sum the month up like this, i realize i haven't had it so bad. Glad to have my head upright again.

No comments:

Post a Comment