Sunday, August 22, 2010

Final Countdown

Vancouver is this week. What?! This week? Are you serious?

Yes. In 5 days we will mount our bikes one last time together and head into Vancouver to finish our 69 days of Bike & Build.

What happened to the summer?

Oh, reality, hello, how are you?

In ways, I'm ready to be done. I'm ready to be off the bike. Don't get me wrong, I still love riding, but I want to ride when I want, where I want, and how long I want. I want to eat like a normal person again, and have some "off" time. But I don't by any means want to wish away the next 5 days. Because as much as I'm ready to take a break, I can't imagine waking up without any one of my 31 roommates. Who will call me Grandma? Who will ask me questions? Who will laugh at my somewhat funny/somewhat awkward jokes? Who will have impromptu dance parties with me all day every day? Who will I get ice cream with EVERY DAY? Who will remind me that bonking is ok? Does anyone else even know what bonking is? Doing the Northern? Waving your flag? Anyone?

This experience has been incredible. It's funny to look back at pictures from the first week, and be reminded of how much our team has grown and changed evolved in the last 9 weeks. It's hard to believe we've only known each other for 9 weeks. It's hard to believe that after Friday, we may never all be together again. Every emotion is coming. I predict a lot of tears in my immediate future, happy and sad. Every time I think about Vancouver, and the feeling that we will have running into that water, I get chills. It's going to be epic. It's going to be amazing. It's going to be soon.

I am so thankful for this experience. I am so thankful for all 31 of the people I've spent my summer with. I'm going to miss this make-believe world we've been living in where you nap every day, and eat whatever you want, and have no concept of what's happening in the "real world". I'm going to have the best next 5 days climbing mountains and camping and singing and laughing and dancing and hugging all my buddies.

NUS 2010 - I love you mo-fos.

I got soul but I'm not a soldier.

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you will be in Vancouver on Friday!!!! You guys are so awesome. How proud you and your 31 roommates must be of yourselves. Bike & Build NUS......YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! We are so proud of you and your accomlishment!!!!1 YOU GO NUS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete