Monday, August 23, 2010

Nature Lover


Today we did Loup Loup pass in the Cascades. At the top of the climb, Kelsey and I stopped for a snack and a bathroom break. After finishing the most delicious nectarine I've ever eaten, I turned to her, holding the pit, and said the following, "Do you think I can throw this in nature or should I just throw it in my tampon bag?" This is the beauty of being a girl on the bike. Because I don't want to destroy national parks with trash, because it's that time of the month, I have to carry around a plastic bag with dirty feminine products in it until I reach a destination where I can dispose of it correctly. That's dedication to Mother Earth if you ask me. It's also a reminder that we have to prepare ourselves for entering back into the real world where you don't usually just say things like that to the person sitting next to you.
We have one more day of climbing tomorrow, then we're pretty much home free for the last 3 days of biking before Vancouver. My last driving day was yesterday, so I have a full 5 days of riding in a row, which is exciting to me, but not so exciting for my knees. I must be getting better at biking up mountains, because when I got to the top of Loup Loup today, I thought, "this is it?" Never thought I would see that day. Actually never thought I would see the day that I would attempt to bike up mountains in the first place.

We're camping tonight and tomorrow. Tonight is Early Winters, electricity-less, shower-less, and for the most part people-less. Just us, the mountains, and FREEZING cold river showers, which are entertainment each time someone emerges from the water for the first time. Tent crew is reunited and happy. Tomorrow we climb Washington Pass. Tonight we award grants. Life is good.

my driver's side view yesterday
they finally got nolan good by replacing his clothes at the showers with this dress, then hiding his bag after he walked back from the showers. priceless, and something we've been waiting for all summer
loup loup posse...leisl, beth, ak, jess, paul, ap, me, jillian, and kyle lee...photo compliments of kels
me, leisl, and beth at lunch time
jamey as a rock in search of drugs in our tent trap door

No comments:

Post a Comment