Monday, August 16, 2010

Moose Ride Together

Today was our Sadie Hawkins ride. Since the boys asked us to prom, we decided to change it up and have the girls ask them on a ride date. After first drawing my brother and throwing him back, I drew Nolan. Pressure was on to be super creative, and as funny as possible. On a ride last week, I stopped at an arts and crafts store to get some inspiration. I found a square piece of moose printed fabric, and a plan developed. See, Nolan gets upset on the trip every time that another rider sees a moose on the route. He has always wanted to see one, and keeps missing out. So my plan developed to do a moose-themed ask. So I bought the fabric, a heart ribbon, and rose petals. Every time he is given something, the person blows a kingly horn, and throws rose petals on him.

Part 1: After Nolan's AH presentation on Wednesday, Corker gave him my first poem, and a loin cloth to wear (made out of said fabric) for good luck seeing moose. The poem and video is below:

Mooses are big and so is your junk
Your lack of moose sighting has put you in a funk
I give you this loin cloth with lots of moose on it
to wear on your man parts, or if you choose as a bonnet
Old Indian legends say loincloths bring pleasure
It will make you see moose which to you is a treasure



Part 2: My brother comes up to Nolan at the route meeting to teach him a song about moose sighting. Poem and video below:

Now that you've got your loin cloth on
It's time to sing a moose hunting song


Part 3: Later that day, while at lunch, Paul comes out with cardboard moose ears attached to his helmet, and a cardboard sign around his neck that says, "Look Nolan, a moose". He sneaks up behind him, and it's hilarious! I didn't get this on video because it would have been too obvious that it was me, but the poem and a photo of the moose antlers is below:

My love for you is pure and true
Otherwise how could this moose have appeared out of the blue?
Take this headband as a sign of my loving
Wear it with pride, and soon we'll do some turtledoving
Until then have a great ride
Soon my dear, my identity I won't hide


Part 4: The next day at breakfast, Steven reads the next poem which is:

Now that you have my heart and soul:
I need to know you're not a player
To prove to me this, you've got to be a moose slayer
Here is your weapon use it with care (hands him a $1 sword I bought)
Look out for that moose over there

At this point Denis enters with antlers on his helmet, and Nolan has to chase him around breakfast, under tables while Denis is making all kinds of "moose" noises. Finally Nolan caught up to him and slayed him. I sadly didn't get this on video either, but here's another photo.


Part 5: this happens a few days later in Whitefish. Nolan is laying in the sanctuary of the church reading. Sam and Trav read him the final poem, throw rose petals, and then I come in dancing to an awesome song about mating. Poem and video below:

I know you've been waiting for too many days
The camping and rain just got in the way
Usually this group loves to palance
This time please join me in a moose mating dance


All in all I give myself an A+ for creativity and execution. Thanks to all the guys who were such good sports, helped out so much, and kept my identity a secret! And to Kate who planned it all (and her helpers who I keep forgetting).

Sadie Hawkins day was amazing. Nolan and I donned our moose antlers and took off for the day. The ride was BEAUTIFUL. We took some backroads for the first 15 miles, and the roads were smooth, it was perfect. We went through all the states, and talked about what we like, if we would want to go there, have been, or would live there. We only made it to Georgia, but it was great. Lunch was at a small road-side restaurant with an amazing back yard. We secluded ourselves on a picnic table in the back and chatted all afternoon. We arrived at lunch at 11:30. Imagine our surprise when sweep told us it was time to go at 3:30. Good chats.

We teamed up with Denis and Sarah and Sam and Abby for the rest of the ride. We soon rode up on Dickey Lake (yes, we giggled about that). We decided we should have a swim, so we made our way there and jumped off the dock into the freezing water. I'm sure i've said it before, but there's really nothing better than swimming after a hot day on the bike. We got back on our way and KG called to tell us we needed to hightail it home because we had to do laundry and the laundromat closed at 7. It was 5:30 at this point. So we rode at an average pace of 17 to get there in time, which we did. We then ate dinner at turbo speed because we were still moving so fast in our heads. Best chocolate cake ever.


official sadie hawkins photo before heading out (see matching neck scarf and loin cloth)

steven making a documentary about moose eating lunch at a picnic table (that's a moose plate in nolan's hand)

after lunch photo - mooseology
me checking out dickey lake - sometimes i would forget i had those antlers on and then look at my partner and burst in to laughter and feel like i was 5 it was such a great day

chamois swim in dickey lake

Also, shout out to Jamey for always keeping the old Gramelly/grandma jokes going. This morning he pinned a red ribbon on my Camelbak that said 1st prize for being 40 and sporty. HIlarious.

No comments:

Post a Comment