Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Boston and Banging Drums


I flew into Boston today, as tomorrow we're heading to New Hampshire to start our orientation for Bike & Build. While waiting for Angela and Kyle to pick me up in Elvis (our van which has a sweet tape deck), I took the liberty of showing myself around the city. Here are my notable thoughts/moments from the day:

1. walking through old colonial Charleston listening to the Humpty Dance makes you cool (don't ask how i know this, but i do)
2. people still play hacky sack in the park, only now they play in suits, and they are not hippie and cool
3. Boston is so modern/old school that Old City Hall, is also the home of Ruth's Chris steak house
4. the lady doing picture retakes next to the Paul Revere statue because her "arm fat keeps hanging out and getting in the way" was good entertainment, but I don't think she got the shot she was looking for.
5. The people who are dressed as colonials for a living don't think it's funny when you ask for career advice, even if you're being kind of serious.
6. Segway tours are DUMB

More exciting for me was exploring the Boston church we're staying in with the Boston to Santa Barbara leaders. Here's what Brendan and I discovered while exploring the church:

1. it smells like poop and tuna sandwiches mixed together
2. it's really hard not to ring the bell in the bell tower when it's dangling in front of your face
3. this church is kind of weird....while kind of my dream because it has costumes, wigs, and drum sets
4. even though I don't like segway tours, the 1925 mechanical chair lift at the church is badass, and I want one in my future house, mary poppins style
5. the closet labeled "water fountain closet" is a farce, and is nothing more than a janitorial closet
6. one room is called the dance room and one is the parlor

No comments:

Post a Comment