Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Let there be biking and building...oh, and today is Tuesday

Yesterday we had our first ride, the shakedown ride. A short 6-mile warm-up to get everyone pumped, on the bike, and ready for group togetherness on the road. It went well, was a blast, and everyone is super pumped to begin!!

everyone getting ready for shakedown

the whole crew

Last night we went to an amazing host's house for dinner, extreme ping pong and presentations. When we arrived, they handed all the girls pink mustaches so we could be in stasche cahoots with Denis. It was hilarious. I kept mine on all night even through the presentation. Skip did his presentation, and the riders loved it.

creepsters

all the ladies

the boyz

Today was our first build with Habitat, and it was super cool.

work it out


yes - nail in the nose. paul keeps us entertained

Afterwards, some Habitat homeowners came to the church to cook for us. We got to witness this moment, which made me cry, and was a great way to remind us all how much of an impact what we're doing can make on the lives of others. It was amazing...here is the video.


What they forget to remind you when you are a leader is how exhausting it is. It's wonderful, don't get me wrong. I can't tell you how many times i said this week that I can't believe this is my job right now! And I was joyous when I read my friends' facebook status messages complaining about it being Monday (at which point i looked at my co-leaders and said "hey guys, it's monday, did you know that?"). But I am tired. (and so is Denis as you can see from the pic below)


I love our riders. This is going to be a summer of epic proportions. So much laughing and dance parties and peanut butter and chamois butter and love. Tomorrow we leave!!!!!! I can't believe it's almost time!!!!!!! I am so anxious to get up and moving on the road. WE have been at this host for days, and our stuff is everywhere. Feels like a lot to do to get everyone safely moving tomorrow. I feel like I'm about to send my 28 children out on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment