Sunday, June 27, 2010

cactus legs and 12% climbs

My back almost went out on me this afternoon. Today was the hardest mental and physical challenge I have ever put my body and mind through. I am badass, but could never have made it without the encouragement of my teammates.

Today we crossed into Vermont, and simultaneously into serious hill country. Our last climb was an 8-mile gradual climb with a 2 mile super steep incline in the middle. It was absolutely brutal. Of course, knowing we had the hardest climb of the trip coming up, Ton, Denis and I decided to take the 2-mile uphill detour to see the Joseph Smith monument (which is essentially one big shaft...literally, and it's not even that big). Anyway...we kicked ass and took names all the way up the hill, and eventually reached the top. The downhill was indescribable. Seriously, no words. But it was amazing. I had my first fall in town trying to turn around (it was a soft fall, and very funny) and my bro was there to document it.

We stayed at a huge house that used to be a hostel in Rochester, VT with Ginny Bowman and her family. She and her son biked across the country a few years back, and their family is super interesting. Showers were in the river, which was literally the coldest water I have ever felt in my life. My girl parts went from cold to numb to burning it was that cold. Lots of screaming and overdramatics in the river.

While walking back to the hostel, through town half-naked, we were lamenting how hard it is to explain this experience to people who are outside of it. It is so hard to convey to the outside world how amazing it is, and we're only 8 days in. I can only imagine the impact it will have on each of us when it's all over (not that we're thinking about that now).

VERMONT STATE LINE
boys and the shaft
i have always loved peanut butter, and this is the master pb sandwich
nolan's lap dance/feeding me coffee/me resisting since i don't want to choke
alt angle
me and d at the top...couldn't have made it without him and Abbs
my Bethel Mountain posse
river showers
cactus legs are what nolan has named unshaven legs
me and sarah and our cactus legs

1 comment:

  1. So proud of you Kelly! Keep up the good work, so glad you have such amazing support!!

    ReplyDelete