Thursday, June 3, 2010

down on the farm

California ain't got nothin' on us - that's how Judy puts it. And right she is.

So I'm helping my mom's good friend Judy on her farm while I'm home. She is getting ready for the first market in Zionsville, and I want to learn more about gardening, growing your own food, farming, etc. I help her, she teaches me. Wednesday night I went over with my mama and Cam and we helped Judy make gazpacho. It is hands down the best damn gazpacho I've ever had (and yes, I had to look up how to spell gazpacho).

Today I went over and picked asparagus and Boston lettuce. I can't get over how f-ing cool it is to pick real food out of the ground. That must sound sort of weird, but it's so awesome to a. be outside all day working b. pick real food out of the ground c. know that this food will feed other people d. get sooooo dirty working outside e. not be working at a desk....the list goes on and on.

They are growing everything, from broccoli to raspberries, apples, peaches, watermelon, herbs, and more, even blue potatoes. Who knew there was such a thing as blue potatoes!? I'm going back tomorrow to help her finish getting ready for Saturday, then I'll go help out at the market. It's all so badass, I can't get enough!

got put right to work driving this lil' tractor while Jude watered all the plants
yes, asparagus growing right out of the ground (as if it would grow out of anywhere else)
jude picking lettuce
the asparagus i picked all by myself!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment