Monday, July 19, 2010

maddy wis

Madison, Wisconsin, ladies and gentlemen! (applause)

Today was our first official day off this summer. I stayed in last night, and apparently have insomnia as a result of my antibiotics, which is not awesome. If I had insomnia, I would not fare well. It is extremely aggravating and very boring. I couldn't imagine it every night. Plus creeping around a huge old church by yourself at night while everyone else is out boozing is just weird.

Anyway. We started the day with brunch at Monty's Blue Plate Diner, after recapping the previous night in the hallway college-style. We took them by storm with a party of 22 or so. Good thing we're flexible, and didn't make them get us a table for 22. We split up into separate table crews, and I ate with Leg, Kate, Trav, Abbs, and Sam. It's just laughs with a group like that. Leg Bonk spilled cream all over the table, and then proclaimed something like, "there's so much cream between my legs" or something like that. (I never said our humor was mature or original) I'm talking heads down on the table, shoulders shaking laughter for pretty much the whole 2 hours we were there. Breakfast was closed out with the double-double head scratch, which consists of Trav and Sam scratching our heads at the table. Ecstasy.

Back at the church had a nice lil leader meeting. When we stood to 4-way hug at the close of the meeting, we fell over in laughter when we realized the girls and the boys were wearing the same outfits. We're so kitsch.

After a great heart-to-heart with Heather, I rode downtown to meet up with all my peeps, hacking up my lungs the whole way there. This cough has got to go soon, because it is not allowing me to hold up my hot babe magnet image. Momgela and I headed to the outdoor store (can't remember the name) so I could get some new sandals. I am in love with this store and the two women who work there. So nice. Upon purchasing my new kicks, I assured the women that I didn't need anything else. Cut to 2 hours later, and Liz and I are trying on everything in the store. The thing about Bike & Build is, that you sort of forget about social norms. So you think it's normal to drop your bags at the front door in a pile, take your pants/skirt off in the middle of a store and try on new garments. The only thing that makes you realize this is not in fact accepted behavior is when a non-B&Ber walks by and gives you dirty looks for doing this, at which point you pick up your strewn skirt and ask for a dressing room, which at this moment is pointless. Then a woman comes in and asks if it's ok that the homeless woman is sleeping on the bench. We assure her that Angela is not homeless, but that she got tired and wanted to nap by our bikes for safe keeping. We bought some more stuff, took a photo with the store clerks, and headed for the Terrace to see more of our posse.

Trav and his friend threw together a picnic of sorts from the Madison Co-Op (which puts the Brooklyn Co-Op to shame), and we all sat by the water nomnoming. Did you know that after you eat strawberries, if you hold the stems in your sweaty clenched fist for a bit, then lick your hands, it tastes like a fruit roll-up? Now you do. Michael and I inducted an honorary brother (Steven) into the Kraft family. I showed off my opera voice and singing skills to the leadership team in the dark after another successful meeting, and then Kira cupped up my ovaries in a bowl in the kitchen (which is not nearly as weird as it sounds).

It was a solid day, and I LOVE Madison.

the cream incident
head rubs
twinsies
our new comrades at the outdoor store
picnic time
our new brother
capital building, abby, and butts
art.
another kind of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment