Wednesday, July 21, 2010

P2S

Yesterday ended as somewhat of a downer. We got word that one of the leaders on the P2S trip, Paige, was struck by a car and died instantly yesterday afternoon. This is a first in Bike & Build history, and is devastating to say the least. My thoughts go out to her family, the P2S team and their riders, and the Bike & Build community as a whole. Statistically on a trip like this, it’s bound to happen, but it’s always shocking when it really does. Of course our riders are also taking it hard, as it’s a reminder of how fragile life is, and how vulnerable we can all be on a bike. No matter how safe we are, accidents still happen, and it’s really scary to think about. Riders reacted differently to the news, and we are trying to support each of them as best we can right now.

To say that the tone of today was different would be an understatement. I think today’s ride was really reflective for everyone. I had a really enlightening conversation with Beth at lunch. She said that today gave her some time to think about why she’s really here, and what this all means in a bigger picture. We had a really great conversation, and I am glad that she could find something positive when so much seems chaotic right now.

Everything is a risk. We take risks even in everyday life every time we do anything. Getting in the car to go to work is a risk. And as much as we don’t think about it on Bike & Build, every ride is a risk as much as it is an adventure. Every friendship is a risk. Putting yourself out there is a risk. But we take these risks, big and small, every day in order to live the lives we are meant to and want to live. If we didn’t, life wouldn’t be worth living. With life, comes death. It’s unfortunately part of the deal. Beth and I hope that Paige was as happy yesterday as we are every day of this trip, and know that she died while doing something meaningful and special to her. And while that doesn’t make her death easier to swallow, or lessen the severity of the situation, it confirms and solidifies for us why we’re here, and reminds us how special this experience is, and how fragile life is. Basically what I’m trying to say is that life is short, and I’m glad I’m here. And if I had to go tomorrow, I know I’m living my life to it’s fullest right now, and I would go happier than I’ve ever been. I am so thankful for this opportunity, and for all the wonderful new Northerners in my life. I cannot imagine what the P2S team must be going through right now. All my love and support go out to them.

Rest in peace Paige.

3 comments:

  1. Aren't you so glad you quit advertising to do that ride? You really are living your life!
    Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a tragic thing! I have also been praying for Paige's family and all of you in the bike and build organization. Your blog is awesome, Kewwy and I am so glad to be able to share the trip with you through this. Maybe a text to Mommy every day now when you and Michael reach a new destination? Just a "We made it"!!!!

    I love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and your B&B family. I love you!!

    ReplyDelete